He proposes two major traits of successful teachers:
- "S/he sees learning through the eyes of her/his students"
- "S/he helps students become their own teachers"
Additionally, he lists several "Mind Frames" of teachers who bring about successful learning, here are some:
- seeker of feedback
- use dialogue more than monologue
- have high expectations for all
- welcome error
And a flavour of some of the others:
- use learning intentions and success criteria
- aim for surface and deep outcomes
- set high expectations
- create trusting environments
- give and receive feedback
- monitor and interpret my learning/teaching
Those two last aspects are key to improvement of learning and teaching, having a "passion for evaluating impact" as Hattie put it. "Know thy impact" - this is the central theme of the book.