Some see it in dichotomies:
- Cognitively Active vs Cognitively Inactive
- Deep Learning vs Surface Learning
- Slow Thinking vs Fast Thinking
- Knowledge, Skills, Understanding
- Data, Information, Knowledge, Wisdom (DIKW)
- Data, Information, Knowledge, Understanding, Wisdom
Some see it in terms of knowledge forms (Milan Zeleny, 1987):
- know nothing
- know what
- know how
- know why
Each helps us to understand a particular context or slice through the cake of learning. Sometimes these models are ingrained in the language we use to discuss learning and can confuse.
How do you slice up your learning cake?